Moe Zoyari is a two time winner of Picture of The Year International Award.
He began his work as a photographer at the age of 14. After focusing his work around human rights issues and political turmoil in Iran, he expanded his reach, covering events in Middle East, Europe and the Unites States. His photos have been published in national, and international journals including Newsweek, Time, and Der Spiegel , among others. Moe was invited to The White House by President Obama, and The First Lady in 2015 to attend the global Instameet.
He worked for United Press International and British Broadcasting Corporation from 2003 to 2015, and is now an independent photographer based in Chicago, IL, represented by Redux Pictures. The Pulitzer Prize winner John H. White has been a mentor of Moe.
Notable Awards & Honors
- Recipient of $7,500 John Fischetti Scholarship, Chicago Columbia College, J-term/Spring 2018
- First Place at Chris Hondros Memorial International News category of Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar 2017
World Press Photo's Joop Swart Masterclass nominee 2017
Second place of Sport Picture Story in Picture of The Year International 2017
Honorable Mention in Sports Picture Story of Atlanta Photojournalism 2016
- Top 100 photographer of LensCulture Street Photography Award 2016
- Selected student for The Eddie Adams Workshop XXIX in New York - 2016
- Invitee at The White House for the annual Instagram Meet - 2015
Selected to participate at New York Times Portfolio Review - 2015
- Best photographer of the year (PDNedu) – 2012
- Iran’s best documentary photographer – 2008
- Award of excellence from Picture of The Year (POYi) – 2007
Lectures & Exhibitions:
"Artists for Peace" photo exhibition at UC Berkeley, California, December 2017
Guest lecturer at Columbia College Chicago - Ethics in Journalism 2017
Guest lecturer at College of San Mateo – California 2011
- Photo Exhibition of Forgotten Colors – Sunnyvale Library, California 2010
- Photo Exhibition at University of Putra – Malaysia 2009
- Photo Exhibition of 30 Years of Iranian Photography, Monnaie de Paris, 2009
- Guest lecturer – Faculty of Social Sciences, Tehran University, Iran 2009
- Manager of a week long workshop for Iranian photographers, Tehran 2008
- Photo Exhibition of Difficulties of Being a Woman in Iran, Germany 2007
- Photo Exhibition of Just For Foreign Policy, New York, NY 2005
- Exile: A photo book featuring Iran, India, Afghanistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia,
France, Italy, Germany, and the U.S. (2012) ISBN: 978-0-9857770-1-2
- Forgetfulness: A photo book of a 14 months journey throughout 45 countries around the world. ISBN: 978-0-9857770-0-5
- Influential Persians: A photo portrait book of influential Iranians around the world.
This book is a work in progress and would be published by the end of 2017.
On The Web:
- Photo by Moe in WIRED
- Photo by Moe in The New York Times
- Photo by Moe in Liberation
- Photo in Der Spiegel of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Photo in BuzzFeedNews of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Photos in The New Yorker of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Inside Facebook's Offices in Marie Claire
- Photo in KCENTV of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Photo in Handelsblatt of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Photo in Primera Planany of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Photo in NBCNEWS of the attack in Christmas market in Berlin
- Greek Lifo interviews Moe on photos of Afghanistan
- Time Magazine story: The Hajj Goes High-Tech.
- The Life After War, Interview with National Geographic
- Interview with top photography website in Poland
- More than 5000 photos on United Press International photo wire
- France Le Figaro: Iran : comment vont les femmes?
- Interview with Empty Kingdom
- Photography articles on German's DW
- An interview with Feature Shoot
- Article about work in Afghanistan on The Artbo
- "The Life After War" photo story on LensCulture
Wilderness First Aid Training:
Moe has successfully achieved the Wilderness Medical Associates certification, which includes epinephrine administration to treat anaphylaxis, and single person adult CPR, including relief of foreign body airway obstruction and AED use.
This program was supported by RISC Training